The Spencer Clan

The Spencer Clan

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Halloween!

Our Halloweens have begun changing around here in the last couple of years, with only one trick-or-treater still going strong. But that didn't stop all of us from having a great time this year!

Caden got the party started weeks ago, in the midst of a shopping excursion to Pier 1... but that probably doesn't count.


Tim, Caden, and I started celebrating in earnest the week before with a party at our friends' home. Adults were very strongly encouraged to wear costumes too. I was all for ignoring this request, but Tim thought we should go for it. Our costumes were definitely inspired by my one costume option: a dress that my parents had brought me from Ghana. I was all for an African theme, but Tim thought the dress looked much more hippie than African. So hippies we were, with Tim and Caden both designing their shirts the night of the party.




Of course, we also did the obligatory "Boo" neighborhood treat ding-dong ditch, although I miss the days when we made our own homemade pumpkin cookies and decorated them. We tried that once here, and found out later that the cookies were disposed of by the neighbors. Apparently, if you want your treat to actually be consumed and enjoyed, all while remaining anonymous, the treat had better be store-bought!


The night before Halloween, Caden and I carved our pumpkin with the Charlie Brown Halloween special going on in the background. I have to say, it definitely wasn't the same as in years past when all five of us gathered for pumpkin-carving. Caden and I had fun nevertheless, with Caden completely in charge of designing our jack-o'-lantern. He decided on a mummy.


On Halloween day, Tim had to stretch way beyond his comfort zone and wear PJs to work. This was not remotely his idea of a good time, but he pulled through--and thank goodness! Everyone else did too, big time.


On Halloween night, Tristan and his "squad" (his actual preferred term) went to a party as the Avengers. Tristan was Hawkeye.


The rest of us went to the neighborhood block party, and then headed over to the Ridings' to celebrate over there. Caden had never trick-or-treated with his cousins before and thought it was high time to do so! I felt really torn about leaving our home unattended Halloween night--not that I was worried about our home itself. I just felt un-American, even unpatriotic, not answering the door and passing out treats. I eased my guilt by bringing candy out to the neighborhood kids during the block party, and then bringing the rest to the Ridings'.

However, I have to say that when we arrived at the Ridings' home, I felt so completely fine about hanging out with the ladies (Melissa, Iris, and Jen) and watching the old classic (but new to me) Charade, with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. It was so fun!!!


Meanwhile, Tim and Gary took Caden, Matt, and Kate trick-or-treating while Gavin and Mark willingly answered the door.





All in all, it was a perfect night! Happy Halloween!


1 comment:

  1. WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH THE BOY IN THE SPLITS?? I can't even handle. On another note, your Halloween looks like my dream!

    ReplyDelete