The Spencer Clan

The Spencer Clan

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Gavin's 8th Grade Formal

You may be wondering if this blog had morphed from "Spencer Scoops" into "Tristan Scoops." Not so! In fact, Tristan isn't the only one who has been dancing his guts out. Gavin went to his eighth grade formal last night and had a blast. I was shocked to learn that many 8th-graders were taking dates--complete with creative prom-style invitations and so on. Gavin is waiting until he is 16 to date, so instead, he went with a large group of guy friends. Even so, I was thinking that eighth grade formals have come a long way since my time!

But before we get to that part of the story, there is that tricky matter of tying the bow tie. With Tim not able to make it home from work in time, we needed help and we knew right where to turn: our friend Rob, who had already done the same for Tristan prior to Mormon Prom last month:

Gavin with Rob (business executive and, more importantly, bowtie expert!)

Next, we went to Gavin's friend Brady's home to take pictures. The house was surrounded by a lovely, green backyard, but I was not in charge of pictures and my gentle hints that we might try for some green background for the pics apparently went unheeded. Alas!


Bowties and suspenders. Definitely a "thing" this year.
...As are crazy socks. Gavin's had pigeons on them. Matter of fact, Gavin was well prepared, having requested crazy socks prior to school even starting this fall. Who knew? Apparently, he did.
Looking so dapper!
Gavin
Eighth Grade Formal
May 15, 2015
After the pics, the boys went to the Ahasi Hibachi and Sushi restaurant for dinner, and then on to the dance. Post-dance, they went to various parties. The one Gavin attended was at his friend Jett's, with about 60 other kids! Wow. I was slated to drop off a cooler with some drinks, so Gavin asked me to grab the outfit he had selected to change in to and drop it off as well. Here it is, all dapperness apparently tossed aside.

Seriously?!?! (I should at least point out he did make the shorts himself in Home Ec.)
The good news is he changed his mind about heading straight to the after-party. I picked him up, he selected a slightly-nicer outfit, and he was off. It must be nice having enough confidence that you can wear whatever and still feel fantastic. :-)

More about our weekend coming up!






1 comment:

  1. I love the bowties, suspenders and crazy socks. How fun! And man, is that boy getting more and more handsome all the time. So glad he had fun!

    ReplyDelete